Best Food
nice food
healty Food

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Peek Inside My Kitchen - WorldFoods Fusion of Flavours

I happily found out recently that I'd been chosen to be part of a team of bloggers assigned with testing out and trying Asian-style recipes for WorldFoods Fusion of Flavours. The first assignment was to introduce ourselves and our kitchens - so that readers will get to know us a bit better.


It's a post that I've thought about doing for a while, but now that I've been given the nudge, here it is.

We only moved in to our flat about a year ago, and very slowly we've been kitting it out with gadgets and pretty things to make it an organised (most of the time) and comfortable working space. I spend a lot of time in there - and it's quite a small kitchen, so it has to be easy for me to work in.



I love the retro look - red 50's style toaster, Typhoon cake tin, tea, coffee and sugar tins (wedding presents), old-fashioned weighing scales ... and I have a clatter of metal cannisters that hold a tangle of utensils such as a sugar thermometer (used it once!), whisks and my trusty pink silicone spoon that I use for everything from baking cakes to whipping up a quick stir-fry.


As for my style of cooking, I reckon I'm a bit of a 'throw it in and see what it tastes like this time' kind of a girl, but I do have a pile of cookbooks, and my own personal cooking notebooks that I refer back to so there is some degree of restraint!

I also have drawings my daughters have given me magnetted on to my fridge, along with other cuttings that make me smile (the one of the lady eating spaghetti was on a calendar).



Inside the cupboards I have just about every oil and vinegar under the sun - including truffle oil, which I OD'd on once drizzled over some pasta and haven't yet had the courage to face it again. I have a big box full of little jars of dried herbs and spices and a tiny bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil from La Fattoria la Vialla organic farm in Italy.

My first stop every morning... coffee!

There is usually a little tupperware container full of cakes or biscuits (usually because the cake tin is full!) and at Christmas I strew little glowing red chilli pepper lights along the shelf to make it feel a bit more festive.

Well, there you have it. That's my kitchen, and where I spend a good part of every day, cooking, developing my recipes, reading and writing - and occasionally bopping around to The Puppini Sisters.

Do keep an eye on the WorldFoods Fusion of Flavours Facebook Page for updates from myself and the other team members as we are set our challenges. But for now, I'm off to brew a cuppa!

Why not give us a little peek into your kitchen? What are your cooking styles?

No comments:

Post a Comment